Happy Valentine’s Day, my favorite day of the year.
I remember as a kid decorating a shoebox and excited for it be filled with paper hearts. Yep, I am the biggest hopeless romantic. Just ask me how many Rom-Com DVDs I have in my collection, I dare you.
On Valentine’s Day, I am confident of this one certainty: true love does exist. It is extremely rare but oh, so, spectacular. I received my first lesson in love from the 1974 movie adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby. Robert Redford, need I say more. My heart was swayed at the mere age of seven.
“He knew when he kissed this girl… his mind would never romp again…” Gatsby has ruined me.
But honestly, I wasn’t feeling it this year. Don’t know why…
My shoebox was empty and so was my heart.
But then…I came across a lone red envelope sticking out of my mailbox… And it hit me. The memories of past crushes, past loves, cutting out paper hearts, and a subtle secret kiss that no one saw. And suddenly my shoebox was filled to the top.
I walked to my mailbox and took out my cards. One struck in me in particular. “Here’s to the girls who takes on the world and fights for what they love.”
What do I love? Who would I fight for?
Here is a smattering of pink frosting…
- A boy with a smirk and girl with a smile who once were glued to my hip, but now are miles apart.
- A stranger who joins me picking up sea glass on the beach.
- Friends who gave me a bike with a basket.
- A kind smile across a room of yoga mats.
- A text from a girl who shared the nickname “Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam.”
- A girl who screams, “Riehm!” as I pick up the phone.
- A girl who chased me with snakes but calls me Baby doll.
- And the one who knows my heart and whispers to me…
I am loved and so are you. There is someone today who is wanting to get your scribbled name on the bottom of a Peanut’s Valentine.
To get love; you must give love. So, get busy!
“If I do not give love, I am nothing.” I Corinthians 13:2
Happy Valentine’s Day!!!
Would love to hear about your most memorable Valentine’s Day memory…. Please comment below.